Introduction to Python Programming | Core Python Fundamentals (TTEY101)
About this Course
Geared for experienced programmers, Introduction to Python Programming is a hands-on Python programming course explores the Python language up to an intermediate level. Students will leave this class armed with the skills required to write Python programs dealing with sequences and mappings, program flow control, system calls and file manipulation. The course provides insight to the features of Python that make it an excellent choice for projects of virtually any size.
The course provides a solid foundation in basic terminology and concepts, extended and built upon throughout the engagement. Processes and best practices are discussed and illustrated through both discussions and group activities. Attending students will be led through a series of advanced topics comprised of integrated lectures, extensive hands-on lab exercises, group discussions and comprehensive demonstrations.
Course Topics Covered: Students will explore:
- Python Overview and History
- Language Basics
- Complex Types and Operators
- Statements and Control Structures
- Advanced Classes
- DB API
This course is appropriate for advanced users, experienced programmers, and system administrators.
At Course Completion
Working within in an engaging, hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert Python practitioner, students will learn to:
- Understand the uses for Python in software development, testing and systems administration environments
- How to develop Python applications for a variety of uses
- Packaging and distribution of Python applications and modules
- Communicating with a SQL database using Python
- Use Python for developing automated test scripts
Students should already have a working, user-level knowledge of Unix/Linux, Mac, or Windows. While not required, basic skills with at least one other programming language will be helpful.
Session: Python Overview and History
- Why Python?
- How to run Python applications
- Python configuration details
Session: Language Basics
- Program structure
- Basic operations
- Basic arithmetic operations
Session: Complex Types and Operators
- Tuple and List manipulation
- Basic operations
Session: Statements and Control Structures
- if statements
- while loops
- for loops
- Function Basics
- Scope rules
- Functions as arguments
- Module Basics
- Importing and Reloading modules
- What is a class?
- What is an Object?
- Class basics
- Writing methods
Session: Advanced Classes
- Operator overloading
Session: DB API
- DB Interfaces
- Connecting to the Server
- Executing SQL Statements
- Parameterized Statements
- Downloading and installing NumPy
- Array slicing with NumPy
- Array arithmetic
- Numeric functions