Installing and Configuring System Center 2012 Operations Manager (55004)
About this Course
This five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to install and configure System Center 2012 Operations Manager. In addition this class will prepare the student for managing their 2012 Operations Manager infrastructure.
This course is intended for IT professionals with basic Windows Server, Active Directory and network configuration and management experience.
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Install Operations Manager 2012 and configure global and Management Server specific settings.
- Utilize Resource Pools for high availability.
- Navigate the Operations Manager Console and Web Console.
- Perform both automated and manual agent installation on managed systems.
- Import and export management packs.
- Configure Rules, Events, Monitors and Tasks.
- Configure Reporting and create reports.
- Monitor workstations and servers using Agentless Monitoring and Agentless Exception Monitoring.
- Configure and manage Audit Collection Services.
- Create Synthetic Transactions.
- Create Distributed Applications.
- Multi-home an agent.
- Configure a Gateway server for monitoring untrusted environments.
- Configure communication between management groups.
- Migrate from Operations Manager 2007 to 2012 Operations Manager.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Familiarity with PC hardware and devices.
- Experience supporting Windows-based systems.
- Basic experience authoring and editing batch and script files.
- Experience reviewing Windows application and service logs.
- Experience configuring or supporting distributed application environments.
- Working knowledge of Windows Server 2008 operating system and network configuration.
- Working Knowledge of Active Directory.
Module 1: Overview of System Center 2012 Operations Manager
- Operations Manager Introduction and Basic Concepts
- What’s New in 2012 Operations Manager
- System Requirements
- Understand the purposes of System Center Operations Manager.
- Note the changes from Operations Manager 2007 to 2012 Operations Manager.
- Identify the System Requirements for 2012 Operations Manager.
Module 2: Installing the 2012 Operations Manager Infrastructure
- Active Directory Integration
- SQL Server Configuration
- Security Considerations
- Operations Manager Deployment Scenarios
- Installing Operations Manager 2012
- Create Active Directory objects required for System Center 2012 Operations Manager.
- Configure connectivity between SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012 Operations Manager.
- Create SQL databases required by 2012 Operations Manager.
- Plan an Operations Manager Deployment.
- Install Operations Manager 2012.
Module 3: Navigating Operations Manager
- Operations Manager Console Overview
- Customizing the Operations Manager Console
- Securing the Operations Manager Console
- Operations Manager Web Console Overview
- Navigate the Operations Manager console
- Understand how the Workspaces in the Console are interrelated
- Apply security to the SCOM Console to follow the Principle of Least Privilege
- Utilize the capabilities of the SCOM Web Console
Module 4: Global Management Group Settings and Notifications
- Connected Management Groups and Management Services
- Configuring Global Management Group Settings
- Overriding Global Management Group Settings
- Creating Notifications
- Create Management Groups and configure Management Servers to be members of Management Groups.
- Specify settings which are global to all members of a Management Group.
- Exclude Management Servers from certain global settings.
- Create notifications based on specific alert thresholds.
Module 5: Installing and Configuring Agents
- Agent Installation Prerequisites
- Agent Installation Methods
- Managing Agent Settings
- Determine if a system meets the requirements for Agent installation.
- Use various methods for deploying Agents to managed systems.
- Configure Agent settings in order to gather information about system health.
Module 6: Management Packs
- Management Pack Overview
- Pre-Installed Management Packs
- Importing and Exporting Management Packs
- Management Pack Authoring
- Use Management Packs to monitor operating system, application and service specific events.
- Import Management Packs downloaded from the Internet or other Management Groups.
- Create Management Packs and export them for archiving or use in other Management Groups.
Module 7: Operations Manager Monitoring
- Monitoring Overview
- Types of Monitors
- Network Monitoring
- Monitor system health.
- Choose the type of monitor based on desired information.
- Monitor network devices for improving true core to edge availability.
Module 8: Monitoring without Agents
- Agentless Monitoring
- Agentless Exception Monitoring
- Monitor systems without agents by using Management Packs which support Agentless monitoring.
- Use Agentless Exception Monitoring to gather information about crash reports and resolve the underlying cause.
Module 9: Operations Manager Reporting
- Installing SQL Reporting Services
- Installing Operations Manager Reporting
- Creating, Viewing and Customizing Reports
- Install SQL Reporting Services and integrate SRS with System Center 2012 Operations Manager.
- Install Operations Manager Reporting.
- Access built-in reports and create reports specific to organizational requirements.
Module 10: Operations Manager Audit Collection Services
- Overview of ACS
- Installing and Configuring ACS
- Forwarders and Collectors
- ACS on non-Windows Systems (Unix/Linux)
- Install ACS, create the ACS database and set up forwarders and collectors.
- Access Audit Collection Services data for purposes of maintaining information security.
- Understand how to use ACS in conjunction with Unix and Linux.
Module 11: Synthetic Transactions
- Synthetic Transactions Overview
- Creating Synthetic Transactions
- Understand how Synthetic Transactions can be used to plan for potential growth.
- Create Synthetic Transactions to test various ‘What If’ scenarios.
Module 12: Distributed Applications
- Distributed Applications Overview
- Design and Creation of Distributed Applications
- Analyze the components necessary for consistent behavior of Line of Business Applications.
- Determine interrelationships between components.
- Create Distributed Applications to monitor interdependent components.
Module 13: Monitoring Complex Environments
- Management Groups and Multihomed Agents
- Gateway Servers and Untrusted Environments
- Multihome an Agent to allow for management by multiple Management Groups.
- Create a Gateway Server for monitoring untrusted environments.
Module 14: Backup and Disaster Recovery
- Backup Overview and Planning
- Configuring and Performing Backups
- Recovery Planning
- Determine which backup type(s) best fit different System Center 2012 Operations Manager deployments.
- Backup the critical System Center 2012 Operations Manager components.
- Recover from a Management Server failure.