QuickStart to Power BI for Analysts & Users | Introduction to Power BI
Retail Price: $1,595.00
Next Date: 06/05/2023
Course Days: 2
Enroll in Next Date
Request Custom Course
This course combines expert lecture, real-world demonstrations and group discussions with machine-based practical labs and exercises. Working in a hands-on learning environment led by our expert facilitator, students will learn how to:
- Perform Power BI desktop data transformation.
- Describe Power BI desktop modelling.
- Create a Power BI desktop visualization.
- Implement the Power BI service.
- Describe how to connect to Excel data.
- Shape and Combine Data
- Describe how to collaborate with Power BI data.
- Connect directly to data stores.
- Time Permitting: Explore the Power BI developer API.
- Time Permitting: Describe the Power BI mobile app
This hands-on course is geared new users and analysts or individuals who might be responsible for accessing the organization's data, transforming that data and generating reports.
Before attending this course, students should have:
- A general knowledge of database concepts (fields, records, relationships).
- An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
- Familiarity with Excel.
- TTDV0001 Data Visualization Fundamentals (2 days)
- TTDPB01 QuickStart to PowerBI for Analysts and Users / Introduction to Power BI (2 days)
- TTDPB02 Next-Level PowerBI / Intermediate Power BI (2 days)
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We will work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Module 1: Introduction to Self-Service BI Solutions
Introduces business intelligence (BI) and how to self-serve with BI.
- Introduction to business intelligence
- Introduction to data analysis
- Introduction to data visualization
- Overview of self-service BI
- Considerations for self-service BI
- Microsoft tools for self-service BI
- Hands-on: Exploring an Enterprise BI solution
- Viewing reports
- Creating a Power BI report
- Creating a Power BI dashboard
Module 2: Introducing Power BI
This module introduces Power BI desktop, and explores the features that enable the rapid creation and publication of sophisticated data visualizations.
- Power BI
- The Power BI service
- Hands-on: Creating a Power BI dashboard
- Connecting to Power BI data
- Create a Power BI dashboard
Module 3: Power BI Essentials
At the end of this module students will be able to explain the rationale and advantages of using Power BI.
- Using Excel as a data source for Power BI
- The Power BI data model
- Using databases as a data source for Power BI
- The Power BI service
- Hands-on: Importing data into Power BI
- Importing Excel files into Power BI
- Viewing reports from Excel files
Module 4: Shaping and Combining Data
With Power BI desktop you can shape and combine data with powerful, built-in tools. This module introduces the tools that are available for preparing your data and transforming it into a form ready for reporting.
- Power BI desktop queries
- Shaping data
- Combining data
- Hands-on: Shaping and combining data
- Shape power BI data
- Combine Power BI data
Module 5: Modelling data
This module describes how to shape and enhance data.
- DAX queries
- Calculations and measures
- What is DAX (Overview)
- What is DAX (Tabular)
- Creating Calculated Columns (Basics)
- Conditional and Logical Functions
- Creating Calculated Measures
- Time Intelligence (Overview)
- Time Intelligence (Time Intelligence Functions)
- Using X-Functions and A-Functions
- DAX as a Query Language
- Hands-on: Let’s Model Data
Module 6: Interactive Data Visualizations
This module describes how to create and manage interactive data visualizations.
- Creating Power BI Reports
- Page Layout and Formatting
- Working with Multiple Visualizations
- Creating Charts
- Managing a Power BI Solution
- Power BI Service Settings
- Power BI Desktop Settings
Module 7: Direct Connectivity
- Cloud Data
- Connecting to Big Data
- Connecting to Analysis Services
- Direct Connectivity to Analysis Services
- Using the On-Premises Gateway
- SSAS Multidimensional Models
Bonus Topics / Time Permitting
This content will be included with your course materials, and will be addressed in class if time permits.
Module 8: The Developer API
- The Developer API
- The Interactive API Console
- Custom Visuals
- Using Custom Visuals
- Using the Developer API
Module 9: PowerBI Mobile
- Power BI Mobile Apps
- Creating Dashboards for Mobile Devices
- Power BI for iOS and Android
- Power BI for Windows 10
- Using the Power BI Mobile App
- Annotating Dashboards
- Power BI Embedded
- Adding Visualizations to an App
- Power BI Community