Programming and Data Wrangling with VBA and Excel
At Course Completion
In this course, you will develop and deploy VBA modules to solve business problems. You will:
- Identify general components of VBA and their appropriate use in solving business solutions.
- Record VBA macros to automate repetitive tasks.
- Use reference tools built into Excel to get help on VBA programming language and objects used in the Excel VBA environment.
- Write VBA code to create a custom worksheet function.
- Eliminate, avoid, or handle errors in VBA code, and optimize its performance.
- Control how and when macros run.
- Develop UserForm objects to create custom dialog boxes and windows.
- Use VBA to read and write data from local files and cloud services.
- Use VBA to clean and transform data.
- Run programs and commands outside of Excel and share VBA projects with other users.
This course is primarily designed for students who want to gain the skills necessary to use VBA to automate tasks in Excel such as collecting data from external sources, cleaning, and manipulating data. The target student may also want to learn how to create custom worksheet functions to streamline worksheet formulas and make complex worksheets easier to support, maintain, and understand.
To ensure your success in this course, you should be an experienced Excel user who is comfortable creating and working with Excel workbooks, including tasks such as entering worksheet formulas, using absolute and relative addressing, formatting cells, and creating pivot tables and charts. This level of skill could be acquired by taking the Microsoft Excel for Office 365™ (Desktop or Online) courses, Parts 1, 2, and 3.
Lesson 1: Using VBA to Solve Business Problems
Topic A: Use Macros to Automate Tasks in Excel
Topic B: Identify Components of Macro-Enabled Workbooks
Topic C: Configure the Excel VBA Environment
Lesson 2: Automating Repetitive Tasks
Topic A: Use the Macro Recorder to Create a VBA Macro
Topic B: Record a Macro with Relative Addressing
Topic C: Delete Macros and Modules
Topic D: Identify Strategies for Using the Macro Recorder
Lesson 3: Getting Help on VBA
Topic A: Use VBA Help
Topic B: Use the Object Browser to Discover Objects You Can Use in VBA
Topic C: Use the Immediate Window to Explore Object Properties and Methods
Lesson 4: Creating Custom Worksheet Functions
Topic A: Create a Custom Function
Topic B: Make Decisions in Code
Topic C: Work with Variables
Topic D: Perform Repetitive Tasks
Lesson 5: Improving Your VBA Code
Topic A: Debug VBA Errors
Topic B: Deal with Errors
Topic C: Improve Macro Performance
Lesson 6: Controlling How and When Macros Run
Topic A: Prompt the User for Information
Topic B: Configure Macros to Run Automatically
Lesson 7: Developing Custom Forms
Topic A: Display a Custom Dialog Box
Topic B: Program Form Events
Lesson 8: Using VBA to Work with Files
Topic A: Use VBA to Get File and Directory Structure
Topic B: Use VBA to Read Text Files
Topic C: Use VBA to Write Text Files
Lesson 9: Using VBA to Clean and Transform Data
Topic A: Automate Power Query
Topic B: Transform Data Using VBA and Workbook Functions
Topic C: Use Regular Expressions
Topic D: Manage Errors in Data
Lesson 10: Extending the Programming Environment Beyond the Workbook
Topic A: Run Other Programs and Commands
Topic B: Share Your VBA Projects
|Course Dates||Course Times (EST)||Delivery Mode||GTR|
|2/24/2021 - 2/26/2021||8:45 AM - 4:00 PM||Virtual||Enroll|