About this Course
This course uses Visual Studio 2012, running on Windows 8.
At Course Completion
- Explain how to use Visual Studio 2012 to create and run a Web application.
- Describe the new features of HTML5, and create and style HTML5 pages.
- Send and receive data to and from a remote data source by using XMLHTTPRequest objects and jQuery AJAX operations.
- Style HTML5 pages by using CSS3.
- Use common HTML5 APIs in interactive Web applications.
- Create Web applications that support offline operations.
- Create HTML5 Web pages that can adapt to different devices and form factors.
- Add advanced graphics to an HTML5 page by using Canvas elements, and by using and Scalable Vector Graphics.
- Enhance the user experience by adding animations to an HTML5 page.
- Use Web Sockets to send and receive data between a Web application and a server.
- Improve the responsiveness of a Web application that performs long-running operations by using Web Worker processes.
Before attending this course, students must have at least three months professional development experience.
- Understand the basic HTML document structure:
- Use HTML tags to display text content.
- Use HTML tags to display graphics.
- Use HTML APIs.
- Understand how to style common HTML elements using CSS, including:
- Separating presentation from content.
- Managing content flow.
- Managing positioning of individual elements.
- Managing content overflow.
- Basic CSS styling.
Module 1: Overview of HTML and CSS
This module provides an overview of HTML and CSS, and describes how to use Visual Studio 2012 to build a Web application.
- Overview of HTML
- Overview of CSS
- Creating a Web Application by Using Visual Studio 2012
Lab : Exploring the Contoso Conference Application
- Walkthrough of the Contoso Conference Application
- Examining and Modifying the Contoso Conference Application
- Describe basic HTML elements and attributes.
- Explain the structure of CSS.
- Describe the tools available in Visual Studio 2012 for building Web applications.
Module 2: Creating and Styling HTML5 Pages
This module describes the new features of HTML5, and explains how to create and style HTML5 pages.
- Creating an HTML5 Page
- Styling an HTML5 Page
Lab : Creating and Styling HTML5 Pages
- Creating HTML5 Pages
- Styling HTML5 Pages
- Create static pages using the new features available in HTML5.
- Use CSS3 to apply basic styling to the elements in an HTML5 page.
- Introduction to jQuery
- Displaying Data Programmatically
- Handling Events
Module 4: Creating Forms to Collect Data and Validate User Input
- Overview of Forms and Input Types
- Validating User Input by Using HTML5 Attributes
Lab : Creating a Form and Validating User Input
- Creating a Form and Validating User Input by Using HTML5 Attributes
- Create forms that use the new HTML5 input types.
- Validate user input and provide feedback by using the new HTML5 attributes.
Module 5: Communicating with a Remote Data Source
This module describes how to send and receive data to and from a remote data source by using an XMLHTTPRequest object and by performing jQuery AJAX operations.
- Sending and Receiving Data by Using XMLHTTPRequest
- Sending and Receiving Data by Using jQuery AJAX operations
Lab : Communicating with a Remote Data Source
- Retrieving Data
- Serializing and Transmitting Data
- Refactoring the Code by Using jQuery ajax method
- Serialize, deserialize, send, and receive data by using XMLHTTPRequest objects.
- Simplify code that serializes, deserializes, sends, and receives data by using the jQuery ajax method.
Module 6: Styling HTML5 by Using CSS3
This module describes how to style HTML5 pages and elements by using the new features available in CSS3.
- Styling Text
- Styling Block Elements
- CSS3 Selectors
- Enhancing Graphical Effects by Using CSS3
Lab : Styling Text and Block Elements using CSS3
- Styling the Navigation Bar
- Styling the Page Header
- Styling the About Page
- Style text elements on an HTML5 page by using CSS3.
- Apply styling to block elements by using CSS3.
- Use CSS3 selectors to specify the elements to be styled in a Web application.
- Implement graphical effects and transformations by using the new CSS3 properties.
- Creating Custom Objects
- Extending Objects
Lab : Refining Code for Maintainability and Extensibility
- Inheriting From Objects
- Refactoring Code to Use Objects
- Describe how to extend custom and native objects to add functionality.
Module 8: Creating Interactive Pages using HTML5 APIs
This module describes how to use some common HTML5 APIs to add interactive features to a Web application. This module also explains how to debug and profile a Web application.
- Interacting with Files
- Incorporating Multimedia
- Reacting to Browser Location and Context
- Debugging and Profiling a Web Application
Lab : Creating Interactive Pages by Using HTML5 APIs
- Incorporating Video
- Incorporating Images
- Using the Geolocation API
- Use the Drag and Drop, and the File APIs to interact with files in a Web application.
- Incorporate audio and video into a Web application.
- Detect the location of the user running a Web application by using the Geolocation API.
- Explain how to debug and profile a Web application by using the Web Timing API and the Internet Explorer Developer Tools.
Module 9: Adding Offline Support to Web Applications
This module describes how to add offline support to a Web application, to enable the application to continue functioning in a user's browser even if the browser is disconnected from the network.
- Reading and Writing Data Locally
- Adding Offline Support by Using the Application Cache
Lab : Adding Offline Support to a Web Application
- Implementing the Application Cache
- Implementing Local Storage
- Save and retrieve data locally on the user's computer by using the Local Storage API.
- Provide offline support for a Web application by using the Application Cache API.
Module 10: Implementing an Adaptive User Interface
This module describes how to create HTML5 pages that can dynamically detect and adapt to different devices and form factors.
- Supporting Multiple Form Factors
- Creating an Adaptive User Interface
Lab : Implementing an Adaptive User Interface
- Creating a Print-Friendly Stylesheet
- Adapting Page Layout To Fit a Different Form Factor
- Describe the need to detect device capabilities and react to different form factors in a Web application.
- Create a Web page that can dynamically adapt its layout to match different form factors.
Module 11: Creating Advanced Graphics
This module describes how to create advanced graphics for an HTML5 Web application by using a Canvas element, and by using Scalable Vector Graphics.
- Creating Interactive Graphics by Using Scalable Vector Graphics
- Programmatically Drawing Graphics by Using a Canvas
Lab : Creating Advanced Graphics
- Creating an Interactive Venue Map by Using Scalable Vector Graphics
- Creating a Speaker Badge by Using a Canvas Element
- Use Scalable Vector Graphics to add interactive graphics to an application.
Module 12: Animating the User Interface
This module describes how to enhance the user experience in an HTML5 Web application by adding animations.
- Applying CSS Transitions
- Transforming Elements
- Applying CSS Key-frame Animations
Lab : Animating User Interface Elements
- Applying Transitions to User Interface Elements
- Applying Key-Frame Animations
- Describe the different types of 2D and 3D transitions available with CSS3
Module 13: Implementing Real-Time Communications by Using Web Sockets
This module explains how to use Web Sockets to transmit and receive data between an HTML5 Web application and a server.
- Introduction to Web Sockets
- Sending and Receiving Data by Using Web Sockets
Lab : Implementing Real-Time Communications by Using Web Sockets
- Receiving Data from Web Socket
- Sending Data to a Web Socket
- Sending Multiple Types of Messages To or From a Web Socket
- Explain how Web Sockets work and describe how to send and receive data through a Web Socket.
Module 14: Creating a Web Worker Process
This module describes how to use Web Worker Processes to perform long-running operations asynchronously and improve the responsiveness of an HTML5 Web application.
- Introduction to Web Workers
- Performing Asynchronous Processing by Using a Web Worker
Lab : Creating a Web Worker Process
- Improving Responsiveness by Using a Web Worker
- Providing User Feedback During a Long-Running Process
- Describe the purpose of a Web Worker process, and how it can be used to perform asynchronous processing as well as provide isolation for sensitive operations.
Now you can build Microsoft technical experience while balancing the demands of your schedule. MOC On-Demand combines high-quality video, reading, live hands-on labs and knowledge checks in a self-paced format to help you build skills on Microsoft technologies as you schedule allows – all at once or five minutes at a time. The modular, self-directed course structure adapts to your learning needs and learning style.
Brought to you by the people who write the software, Microsoft Official Courses On-Demand are only available through certified Microsoft Learning Partners like Tandem Solution.
Our On-Demand Solution Includes all of the following:
- 90-day access to training videos
- 90-day access to hands-on labs
- 90-day access to exercises
- Knowledge Checks
The benefits of our On-Demand solution are:
- MICROSOFT OFFICIAL: The content is based on the same official courseware used in instructor-led training and maps to the MOC flow
- LIVE HANDS-ON LABS: Unlike other on-demand offerings that offer simulated labs, MOC On-Demand gives you a live, real-time environment for hands-on learning
- SELF-PACED LEARNING: With MOC On-Demand, you can build deep technical skills on a range of Microsoft technologies when you choose, where you choose
- HIGH-QUALITY CONTENT: The high-quality videos offer in-depth technical content delivered by engaging instructors
- IMMEDIATE FFEDBACK: Knowledge checks at the end of each module and each course tells you whether you’ve mastered the content and are ready to move on
- Lifetime eBook available at an additional cost
- 180 day access available at an additional cost
*SATV Vouchers are accepted